There are currently over 5 million apps available on the App Store (iOS) and Google Play (Android). So how should you get to the top?
How to increase App’s visibility
It all matters on the app’s structure, app marketing campaign and ASO (App Store Optimization) which all help you increase the visibility of your app.
App Store & Google Play: Choose your right keywords on Ahrefs.
App Store & Google Play: If your app’s name has a keyword in it, then you are in luck. If not, then add it to your title.
Format: Brand name – keyword OR Brand name: keyword
App Store & Google Play: The keywords in the subtitle are indexed. Do not use the same keywords that you used in the title – use synonyms instead.
App Store: iOS does not read the app’s description, which means that it would not make any difference. However, it is still recommended to use them in case Apple decides to use them as a ranking factor and would not let its customers know.
Google Play: Reads it. Use your main keywords in the first few lines of the description area. This will help you rank higher on targetet keywords.
App Conversion Rate
Only 2 people out of 100 would download an app (which is equivalent to 2%). If your App Conversion Rate is higher than 2, you have a higher chance to outrank your app’s competitors.
3 ways how to calculate Conversion Rate:
- Conversion Rate = Total number of conversions / Total number of sessions * 100
- Conversion Rate = Total number of conversions / Total number of unique visitors * 100
- Conversion Rate = Total number of conversions / Total number of leads * 100
Ratings and Reviews
App Store & Google Play: Ask people who have downloaded your app to rate the app (only if you believe that they would give you 4-5 stars. 1-3 stars can damage your ratings.
Reply to the reviews.
Available on App Store only: Metadata is used to tell App Store more about your app. Make sure to..
- Use all 100 characters
- Separate every keyword by a comma
- Don’ use space, articles, and prepositions
- Don’t repeat keyword
Google Play: does not use metadata. Android instead takes the keywords used in the description.
App Store & Google Play: Translate the app according to which country/countries you are targeting.
Number of Downloads
App Store & Google Play: Tips on how to increase App downloads:
- Burst Campaign – paid advertising in the first 24 to 48 hours from launch.
- Good app description
- App Icon – Branded vs Functional Icon – ”If your app has an established brand, use the logo to make your brand and your future products recognizable. If your app is a functional app, use one object to describe your app.”
- App images/video – to build trust and show that the app is easy to navigate
However, new apps will always rank higher. The algorithm makes sure that new apps would get noticed.